Angela Fullmer had her hands full. Her husband was out of town, so she had to manage their 9 children on her own. This in addition to two dogs.
So when one of the dogs started barking uncontrollably, she was annoyed.
“Capone,” she yelled, “Shut up! You’re going to wake the baby.”
Capone is a min pin/whippet/chihuahua had been rescued 18 months previous by her husband. Capone was found on the freeway.
No matter what she did, Capone would not stop barking. She called him to her, and he wouldn’t come. Very unusual behavior for this dog.
She got up to see what he was barking about, and it’s a good thing she did.
When she walked into the kitchen, the microwave was on fire. The fire was small, but being an electrical fire she couldn’t throw water on it.
She needed to evacuate her family. She started with the baby, then the 20 month old. She called out to her oldest to gather the rest of the children. While they were heading out, the flames reached the kitchen ceiling and the alarm went off. She called 911 and made sure all the kids were out.
“We always do a roll call every time we get in the van,” she said. “They’re used to it.”
Fortunately, all the kids were present.
As for Capone, he got himself out.
The house was completely destroyed. The family stayed in a hotel room until they found a new place to live. This meant that Capone had to stay with friends in the meantime. He was so upset he didn’t eat for three days. When he finally returned, he wouldn’t leave the babies side.
Check out the video below to see the whole story!
Source: Des Moines Register